Applying for LEAP
Colorado’s Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) is a state-run program that accepts applications for energy bill payment assistance between November 1 and April 30. Click here or call toll-free 1-866-HEAT-HELP (1-866-432-8435) for an application. Please refer to the LEAP website or call HEAT HELP for information on where to send you application.
Please note that Energy Outreach Colorado is not able to provide information or assistance with LEAP applications. LEAP is managed through the county offices of the Colorado Department of Human Services. For questions or assistance with your LEAP application please call toll-free 1-866-HEAT-HELP (1-866-432-8435).
Energy Outreach and LEAP Partnership
Energy Outreach Colorado partners with LEAP to ensure that year-round heating bill payment assistance is available to limited-income Coloradans.
- Each year between November and April, LEAP is responsible for distributing federal funding for energy bill payment assistance appropriated through Congress.
- EOC raises additional assistance funds for Coloradans through nearly 18,000 individual, corporate and utility donors.
- EOC typically makes a donation to LEAP to increase the average energy assistance benefit per household.
- EOC also distributes millions of dollars in additional assistance funding through more than 100 emergency assistance organizations across the state, including the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities. Once LEAP stops accepting applications on May 1, the EOC-funded agencies are the only source of energy assistance throughout the spring and summer until the next federal funding cycle, which begins November 1. EOC can provide assistance to pay both heat and non-heat energy bills.
- Many households that aren’t able to keep up with winter heating bills request help to get caught up before the next year of heating bills begin, so demand is high year-round.
Information about how to apply for assistance from LEAP and Energy Outreach is available at 1-866-432-8435 (1-866-HEAT-HELP).