How To Apply for LEAP

LEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program) is a federally-funded, state of Colorado assistance program that offers a credit to pay heating bills. The program provides assistance with heating costs, equipment repair, and/or replacement of inoperable heating tools.  LEAP accepts applications between November and April.

Energy Outreach Colorado does not process or manage LEAP applications.  This page is only a guide to assist you. For questions about your application or for more information about LEAP, visit the state’s  LEAP website or call the HEAT HELP line.

You are eligible for LEAP if
  • You pay home heating costs to an energy provider, fuel dealer, or as part of your rent*
  • At least one member of your household is a permanent legal resident or citizen of the US and a resident of Colorado
  • You can provide proof of your or your household member’s lawful presence in the US
  • The total monthly income of all members of your household is not larger than what is shown in the table below:
Household Size** Max Monthly Income
1 $3,081
2 $4,030
3 $4,978
4 $5,926
5 $6,875
6 $7,823
7 $8,001
8 $8,179
Each Additional Member Add $177
*  If your heat is included in your rent AND you are in subsidized housing, you may not be eligible for LEAP. Call 1.866.432.8435 with questions.
**  Household size only includes people who live with you and who you support financially (like a spouse, child, or other dependent family members).

The Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) gives Colorado families $200 – $1000 credit each year on home heating bills.

And if you are approved for LEAP, you are also eligible for these other programs!

  • Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP):  The Colorado Energy Office program that provides free insulation, weatherization, and appliance upgrades to help your home use less energy and pay lower bills. Call 303.866.2100 for more information or visit the WAP website.
  • Crisis Intervention Program (CIP): Provides free furnace repair or replacement for those in an emergency without heat. Call 1.855.4.MY.HEAT (1.855.469.4328).
  • Colorado’s Affordable Residential Energy (CARE): Provides free home energy efficiency upgrades for homeowners and renters.  Visit the CARE page for more information.
  • Percentage of Income Payment Program (PIPP): Lowers utility payments to below 6% of a customer’s monthly income. Call your utility’s customer service line to enroll after receiving LEAP.

To learn more about Energy Outreach Colorado’s programs for homeowners and renters, click here.

Watch our quick video:
In English | En Español

Please note:

  • If this is your first time applying for LEAP, you can submit an application beginning November 1st.
  • You will need to re-apply every year to receive the LEAP benefits and save money on your heating bills as there is no annual automatic enrollment to the LEAP program.

Please include:

  • Your LEAP application completed with all questions answered and a signature.
  • Proof of legal residency for those born outside of the United States. Choose from the list below:
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Born Abroad Certificate
    • U.S. Passport
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • Documentation of Refugee or Asylee status
  • Proof of income from all household members for the last month. This includes copies or photos of the last 4 pay stubs, copies of award letters from other assistance programs, and copies of loan paperwork.
  • If you are self-employed, include a profit/statement and make copies or take photos of receipts for all expenses claimed on the profit & loss statement for the month before you apply.
  • If you pay heat directly to the utility (like Xcel, Black Hills, Atmos Energy, etc.), make a copy or take a photo of your most recent heating bill showing the utility company’s name, address, and account number or if heat is included in your rent, make a copy or take a photo of your most recent rent receipt showing that heat is included with your monthly payment.

You are eligible for LEAP as long as ONE member of the household is a citizen or legal resident. If the legal resident or citizen is over 18 years of age, they should apply for LEAP (even if they are not the main account holder), and provide an ID showing proof of legal residency. If all citizens and legal residents are under the age of 18, a non-documented adult should be listed as the applicant.

Non-documented applicants should check the NO box for “Are you a US Citizen” and “Are you a documented non-citizen” in Section 1 of the application.

List all household members in Section 2 of the application. Check the boxes about their citizenship and documented non-citizen status and list the Social Security numbers of all US citizens and permanent residents. Include copies of the minor’s residency papers in your application, if they are available.

Every applicant must include income information for all household members, no matter their legal status. If a household member who makes income is undocumented, their income will be counted in the total household income, but they will not be counted as a member of the household for the income limits.

For instance, if a household contains 2 undocumented adults (who each earn income) and 2 children who are US citizens, the household size for determining LEAP eligibility would be 2, and not 4. Therefore, the adults in the house must make less than $4030 each month (based on the income chart in the “Who Is Eligible For LEAP” tab above).

For any questions, please call HEAT HELP (1-866-432-8435).

Select from one of the following options:

  1. Apply online through the Colorado PEAK website.
  2. Call 1.866.HEAT.HELP 1.866.432.8435 and ask to apply over the phone. This is the best option if you have a shut-off notice and need immediate assistance.
  3. Mail your application. Download and print the application from the LEAP website. Or request a mailed application by calling 1.866.HEAT.HELP  (1.866.432.8435). Complete and sign it, include any supporting documents, and mail it to your county’s address listed below. 
  4. Email it to your county’s office. Scan or take a photo of your application and its supporting documents, and send it to your county’s email listed below.

Alamosa CountyLEAP
P.O. Box 1310
Alamosa, CO 81101
Send Email
Custer CountyLEAP
P.O. Box 929
Westcliffe, CO 81252
Send Email
Delores CountyLEAP
P.O. Box 485
Dove Creek, CO 81324
Send Email
Kiowa CountyLEAP
P.O. Box 187
Eads, CO 81036
Send Email
Mineral CountyLEAP
P.O. Box 40
Del Norte, CO 81132
Send Email
Montrose CountyLEAP
1845 S. Townsend Ave.
Montrose, CO 81401
Send Email
Otero CountyLEAP
13 W 3rd #102
La Junta, CO 81050
Send Email
Pueblo CountyLEAP
320 W. 10th St. Ste 207
Pueblo, CO 81003
Send Email
Rio Grande CountyLEAP
P.O. Box 40
Del Norte, CO 81132
Send Email
All Other CountiesLEAP
P.O. Box 39200
Colorado Springs, CO 80949
Send Email

After submitting your application, it will take about 10-25 days to receive approval for LEAP.

If you have had your service shut off or are out of fuel, approval can be quicker, but make sure you have selected the “YES” box in Section 7 of your application.

If any part of your application is incomplete, LEAP will mail you a follow-up letter requesting further information. This does not mean you are denied, but you MUST provide the documents requested to receive approval. For the quickest response, email images or scans of requested documents to your county’s office.  Open the “How Do I Submit The Application” tab above for a list of county office addresses.

Call 1.866.432.8435 at any time to check the status of your LEAP application.

LEAP will send you an approval letter that includes info on where the funds will be sent. Most of the time, the funds are transferred directly to your utility company to pay down previous and monthly balances until the funds are fully used.
If heat is included in your rent, you will likely receive the benefit on an EBT card.

You will be mailed a new LEAP application the October after you receive LEAP. You can return this application and supporting paperwork as soon as possible and get a jump on approval for the next LEAP season.

Yes, Energy Outreach Colorado has a bill payment assistance program that will pay past-due electric and heating bills for qualified households. This funding is in addition to LEAP, or for those who have been denied LEAP assistance.
To apply, find an agency near you by calling 1.866.432.8435 or visiting the Find A Payment Assistance Agency page. This assistance is available once a year, with the program year beginning each October 1st.

Eligibility for EOC funding:

  • You pay your home energy costs to an energy vendor/utility
  • Your bill is past due or you are running low on fuel
  • You meet income qualifications (your income is at or below 80% of the area median income)

NOTE: There are no residency requirements for EOC funding.

Do you still have questions? Please call the HEAT HELP LINE for more assistance.


LEAP & EOC Bill Payment Assistance      1.866.432.8435

Weatherization Assistance Program     303.866.2100

Emergency Furnace Repair     1.855.469.4328

Would you like to receive periodic texts about energy assistance programs?

Reminders may include updates and tips about LEAP, weatherization, furnace repair, bill assistance, and more!

Text your name and zip code to 720.853.1587. You can opt-out at any time.


You agree to receive recurring messages from Energy Outreach Colorado; Reply STOP to opt out; Reply HELP for help; Message frequency varies; Message and data rates may apply; Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.

Start the Conversation Today! Learn more about becoming a corporate partner.

Skip to content