Colorado’s Affordable Residential Energy Program

Colorado’s Affordable Residential Energy (CARE) program provides income-qualified Coloradans in participating counties with free home energy efficiency upgrades for homeowners and renters.

Energy Outreach Colorado will connect you with a local agency to conduct an energy audit on your home, which will then work with contractors to install qualifying upgrades. These upgrades may include the following: insulation, refrigerators, LEDs, shower heads, air sealing, and qualifying furnaces and water heaters.

Do I Qualify

You are eligible if:

  • Xcel Energy
  • Atmos Energy
  • Holy Cross Energy
  • Black Hills Energy
  • San Miguel Power Association
  • La Plata Electric Association
  • City of Gunnison Electric
  • Gunnison County Electric Association
  • Colorado Natural Gas
  • Yampa Valley Electric Association
  • Platte River Power Authority – Fort Collins, Loveland, Longmont, or Estes Park
  • If anyone in the home participates in one of the following assistance programs, your home automatically qualifies (with proof of benefit):
  • Aid to the Blind (AB)
  • Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Old Age Pension (OAP)
  • Section 8 Housing
  • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
  • Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF)
  • LEAP (Utility Bill Assistance)

How To Apply

Please fill out a CARE Application by clicking the button below. If you rent your home, you will also need your landlord to sign a consent waiver. Email the completed application to

The application review period could be up to 4-5 weeks. You will receive a response via email. 

Utility not list above? CARE not provided in your county?

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides free energy efficiency services for income-qualified Coloradans. If you qualify, you will receive an energy audit that will identify potential upgrades that will then be installed by certified technicians at no cost.

How to apply to WAP

The WAP program is administered by eight regional partners.  Applicants must provide proof of income or enrollment into one of the qualifying assistance programs. To find a partner, click  Find A Service Provider button below or call 1.866.HEAT.HELP (1.866.432.8435).

Feedback from our Participants

Thank you for the new refrigerator - we love it! Thank you for the water heater blanket, light bulbs, air sealing & insulation, and the boiler/furnace clean and tune-up! We appreciate everything. Your program is wonderful and so helpful. Your employees are very knowledgeable and professional.
Matt H.
The team was professional and they worked so hard to do their work in such a small, old cabin. They did everything they could to make life better here. My husband is a disabled vet and used to do everything. Being alone now, I appreciate this whole team and program.
Dorothy S.
I cannot express the gratitude I have for the CARE Program and those who came into my home and completed the work. The crew was a true pleasure, and I loved learning so many new things. I am looking forward to a much warmer winter. I couldn't have done it without you!
Nicole B.
I am very pleased with the results of the weatherization and the LED light replacement. Also, the refurbishing of my heater. My last two electric bills were significantly lower. My heater is running better. Give thanks to the team - they were excellent!
Shannon C.
The team came in and did two solid days of work. They were great to work with and we are seeing a big impact on our energy bills. We really appreciate the peace of mind with the furnace maintenance as we head into winter.
Jerry M.
Skip to content