Colorado’s Affordable Residential Energy Program
Colorado’s Affordable Residential Energy (CARE) program provides income-qualified Coloradans in participating counties with free home energy efficiency upgrades for homeowners and renters.
Energy Outreach Colorado will connect you with a local agency to conduct an energy audit on your home, which will then work with contractors to install qualifying upgrades. These upgrades may include the following: insulation, refrigerators, LEDs, shower heads, air sealing, and qualifying furnaces and water heaters.
Do I Qualify
You are eligible if:
- Your household is at or below 80% of the area’s median income.
- You live in a participating county, and are a customer of any of the following utilities:
- Xcel Energy
- Atmos Energy
- Holy Cross Energy
- Black Hills Energy
- San Miguel Power Association
- La Plata Electric Association
- City of Gunnison Electric
- Gunnison County Electric Association
- Colorado Natural Gas
- Yampa Valley Electric Association
- Platte River Power Authority – Fort Collins, Loveland, Longmont, or Estes Park
- If anyone in the home participates in one of the following assistance programs, your home automatically qualifies (with proof of benefit):
- Aid to the Blind (AB)
- Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Old Age Pension (OAP)
- Section 8 Housing
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF)
- LEAP (Utility Bill Assistance)
How To Apply
Please fill out a CARE Application by clicking the button below. If you rent your home, you will also need your landlord to sign a consent waiver. Email the completed application to email@example.com.
The application review period could be up to 4-5 weeks. You will receive a response via email.
Utility not list above? CARE not provided in your county?
The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides free energy efficiency services for income-qualified Coloradans. If you qualify, you will receive an energy audit that will identify potential upgrades that will then be installed by certified technicians at no cost.
How to apply to WAP
The WAP program is administered by eight regional partners. Applicants must provide proof of income or enrollment into one of the qualifying assistance programs. To find a partner, click Find A Service Provider button below or call 1.866.HEAT.HELP (1.866.432.8435).