Community Solar frequently Asked Questions
Your household qualifies if it meets the following requirements:
- Your household receives an electric bill from Xcel Energy or Black Hills Energy
- Your household’s income is at or below 80% of your county’s area median income (AMI) and/or you have qualified for LEAP or participated in an EOC program within the last 12 months.
Note: If your household received help from EOC’s Bill Payment Assistance Program withinthe last 12 months, you will NOT need to complete a full application. Please contact us if you would like to participate in the Community Solar Program so we can expedite your application.
Yes! Because there is no equipment installed, you can apply as a renter or multifamily building resident as long as you pay your electric bill directly and meet the above requirements.
No, since this program just adds a credit to your electric bill, it will not affect your overall income or impact your ability to apply for and be approved for LEAP.
- Your electric utility account number
- Proof of Income for all members of your household (LEAP or participation in EOC programs within the last 12 months count as proof of income, see below for other options)
- Household size
- Proof of benefit from the following programs: Aid to the Blind (AB), Aid to the Needy Disable (AND), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Temporary Aidto Needy Families (TANF), Old Age Pension (OAP), Low Income Energy Assistance (LEAP), Housing ChoiceVoucher (Section 8), Medicaid,
- Most recent Tax Return – IRS 1040, Wages or Tax Statement W2, most recent income (3 most recent paystubs), retirement benefits letter, letter from employer, Social Security Income (SSI), Social Security DisabilityIncome (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- EOC staff will verify income eligibility and send application forms for you to sign if you haven’t already.
- We’ll submit your signed data consent form to your electricity provider for approval.
- If your data consent form is approved, once the solar garden starts to produce, you’ll receive an enrollment packet from our team letting you know when and how to see savings on your bill.
Unlike for-profit programs that are selling subscriptions to a solar garden, the subscriptions for this program are donated. This means your solar subscription will be completely free, and doesn’t require any commitment, fees, financing, or down payments.