Help with Energy Assistance

Energy Bill Assistance

Q. Where can I get help?
A. Call the toll-free HEAT HELP line at 1-866-432-8435; the agent will help you find an agency near you that may be able to provide assistance.

Q. Can I get help at the EOC office?
A. No. EOC does not provide direct help. Please call the HEAT HELP line at 1-866-432-8435 to find an agency near you that may be able to provide assistance.

Q. How many times may I receive help?
A. You may receive help from an EOC agency once during a grant year, which runs from October 1 through September 30.

Q. What can I get help for?
A. You can get help with bills for coal, electricity, gas, firewood, kerosene, oil or propane.

Q. Will I receive the payment?
A. No. An agency will pay your bill directly to your energy utility.

Q. Can I still get help even if I have received LEAP?
A. Yes.

Q. Should I apply for LEAP first during that season?
A. Yes. After you get a response from LEAP, you may also contact an EOC agency for help.

Q. How does my organization join the EOC assistance network?
A. Start by sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Your agency will need to provide this information:

  • Agency’s mission and purpose
  • Length of time your agency has been in existence
  • Number of clients your agency serves
  • History of your organization
  • Area your agency serves
  • Types of assistance programs your agency provides
  • Your agency’s budget

If you are invited to apply, your agency will be sent an electronic letter with application details and a guideline document.

For more information, send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Furnace Repair Assistance

Q. How long will it take for someone to come out?
A. The goal is to have a contractor out to your house within 24-48 hours. However, there may be extenuating circumstances that don’t allow that to happen, such as a big snow storm for example. In addition, if your call is placed on a Friday, then we may not be able to get a contractor out until Monday.

Q. Will my furnace be repaired or will I get a new one?
A. The contractor will diagnose the problem and determine if a repair or replacement is required.

Q. How long will it take for them to fix/replace my furnace?
A. It depends. Every situation is different. Most repairs are fixed at the time of the first visit; however, if the contractor has to order a part, it could take several days to get that part. If your furnace warrants replacement, it takes one or two days for the contractor to get approval from EOC. And usually they can start work on day three or four. However, this process may take longer if the furnace needs to be specially ordered or if there are extenuating circumstances.

Q. Can I keep the space heaters?
A. No. The space heaters are owned by the contractor and are to be returned to the contractor when your heating system is functional.

Q. What if they don’t clean up their mess?
A. The call center will give you the contractor’s phone number at the time of the initial call. In addition, the contractor should leave a company logo (sticker) on your heating system with a phone number. Just call the contractor and ask for someone to return and clean up.

Q. How much will I have to pay?
A. If you are a renter, your landlord will be asked to pay for 50-75% of the total cost in most cases. If you are the owner of the home, you may be asked to pay for any cost over $2,000. For example, if it costs $2,200 to replace your heating system, you may be asked to pay $200.

Q. What if my landlord doesn’t agree?
A. We are not allowed to work on the property without the approval of the landlord.

Q. What if my agreement with my landlord states that I am responsible for all maintenance and repairs.
A. A landlord is always responsible for the following systems: heating, plumbing and electrical. A contract that states otherwise is not legal. If your landlord is refusing to address a problem with one of these three home systems, you may receive free legal advice from Community Housing Services at 303-831-1935.

Q. Do I have to be home in order to have the repairs done?
A. It is preferable that you be home when the contractor is in your house, but as long as there is an adult present, we can enter the home.

Q. Do I qualify for a free home weatherization?
A. You do if you have a letter from LEAP within the past 12 months saying you qualify for energy assistance.

Q. How can I apply for a free home weatherization?
A. Click here for a list of agencies to find one near you, and contact them to determine eligibility.

Q. Do homeowners receive any weatherization rebates?
A. No. Rebates are paid directly to participating weatherization agencies.

For more information, contact James Bradshaw at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .